PLUS users give positive reaction to toll charges reduction proposal

Last update: 16/01/2020

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 16 -- The proposal to reduce 18 percent of toll charges, suggested by Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad today, received positive response from the North-South Expressway (PLUS) users.

In general, PLUS users expressed their excitement over the good news which showed the government’s concern to help the people reduce their daily financial burden.

They said  this also proved the government’s commitment to fulfilling the Pakatan Harapan manifesto which is to abolish toll charges.

"“It is a good baby step for the government, if they realise this toll rate reduction initiative since it is in  the Pakatan Harapan manifesto, which is to abolish tolls," said private marketing executive Brandon Lee, 28 to Bernama.

Data analyst Nurul Nadya Nasaruddin, 31, said that the toll rate reduction will save some of her expense as she uses the highway almost everyday to go to work.

"I spent a total of RM100 per month for toll for my journey back and forth to work. So I am grateful for this reduction and thank the government if they decide to implement it," she said. 

Media practitioner Nurhafizah Tan, 31, who agreed with Nurul Nadya, said if the reduction is implemented, she could spend the extras for other daily needs.

"Since I moved to Puncak Alam two months back, I spend RM10 each day for the PLUS highway alone. If the toll is reduced, I can use the extra money for petrol, food and other necessities," she said.

Previously, Dr Mahathir was reported as saying that the 18-percent reduction of the toll charges will begin this year, but did not give any details.

--BERNAMA